Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Stone Wall


When driving on country roads in New England, it is not uncommon to see stone walls extending into the woods. These rocky fences marked the borders of old fields and pasture lands before the woods reclaimed the land. In Biblical times, stones were placed on the perimeters of fields and estates, and these boundaries were taken seriously. To move a stone boundary was a crime, equivalent to stealing someone’s land. Deuteronomy 19:14 states “you shall not move your neighbor’s boundary mark.” “Do not move the ancient boundaries which your fathers have set,” Proverbs 22:28 advises. The importance of boundaries goes way back to the division of land among the tribes of Israel. “When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance, When He separated the sons of man, He set the boundaries of the peoples According to the number of the sons of Israel.” (Deuteronomy 32:8)

This idea of boundaries has helped me set a limit on worrying. If there is something to be anxious about, I’m always right on it. But I have learned that sometimes a boundary is needed on what I allow myself to worry about, especially if it is an issue over which I have no control (other than praying!). If such a topic starts to make me anxious, I’ll say, “that topic is outside of my territory.” To reinforce the boundary, I’ll think of a Bible verse, such as Philippians 4:8: “Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, think on these things.”

Sometimes a time boundary needs to be set: “I will not worry about this issue now, but I’ll consider it after class.” Or, “these thoughts are not allowed in my mind at bedtime.” Again, scriptures are very helpful, especially the Psalms, such as Psalm 34:4, “I sought the Lord, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears,” or “When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.” (Psalm 94:19)

While some people need boundaries on worrying, others need protection from topics contrary to God’s Word. Firm boundaries are needed against invading thoughts which tempt one to sin. That’s when Psalm 139:23-24 makes a good prayer: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way."

Boundaries are both for protection and visible demarcation of where one territory ends and another begins. Next time you see a stone wall, think about boundaries you may need to set in your thought life.

When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul. Psalm 94:19


This week you are going to pretend you are a stone wall! This will strengthen your core and your legs. So find a mat or soft carpet and lie on your side. I want you to be aware of what all the parts of your body are doing, so it is best to remove distractions and concentrate while you are first learning.

Have your ears, shoulders, and hips in a straight line with your knees relaxed. (That means no propping your head up on your hand. Make your head an extension of your spine.) Now let’s look at what your hips are doing.

You want your hip bones “stacked” so that your pelvis is perpendicular to the floor. Prevent yourself from letting your hips rock forward or backward. This takes strength in your core (Learn more about your core by clicking here.) and that is one of the purposes of this exercise!

Now let’s use your abdominals. Pull your navel inwards toward your spine. (Click here to review how to exercise the transverse abdominal muscle.) Now imagine there is a space between your waist and the floor. Some instructors call this the “mouse house” and I think it is a good way to visualize how to contract all those muscles in your torso.

(The door to your mouse house may not be very high, but that’s okay. Just imagine that it’s there!) You may place your hand on your midsection to feel the muscles tighten. (And there are muscles under there!) Breathe and hold your mouse house a few seconds while keeping your hips perpendicular to the mat. Then repeat again to make ten repetitions. You may do the stone wall exercise every day if you wish, but at least three times per week.

Still lying on your side, we’re going to strengthen the gluteus medius (hip) and the abductors on the outside of your thigh. Straighten your legs for this one so that your knees are locked and your feet are flexed.

Lift your top leg a few inches and then lower. If you have any pain, stop! (If you are unsure whether any exercise is appropriate for you, ask your doctor first.) Remember to breathe and keep your core muscles firm and prevent your hips from rocking forward or back. You may lift your leg a little higher as long as you don’t have pain. Do you feel the muscles in your hip and outer thigh? Lift for 12 repetitions and then repeat on your other leg. The leg lifts should be done three times per week.

For variety, try lifting your leg in three counts and lowering in one count. Or you could lift in one count and lower in three. Another option is to rotate your foot outward and hold as you lift and lower.

Once you have mastered the technique and are fully aware of your muscles at work, you could do this exercise while watching tv, etc. and it can fit easily into your schedule. A strong core and strong legs make for stability and full functioning in your everyday life. That’s why this is included in the Length and Strength routine!

Photo credits: newenglandtrailreview.com,focuspilates.com.sg, tweenwalldecals.blogspot.com,weight-training-guide.blogspot.com all from Creative Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment