Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"I shall not be Moved"

I keep the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand, I will not be moved. Psalm 16:8

“I shall not be moved.” With a smile and a wish that my life would not have to be disrupted, I have claimed this verse the last couple of times we have had to move. But, or course, it does not refer to being “moved” as a change of address. Not being moved (or “shaken” in some translations) means the sure footing we have when we stay close to God. With God front and center in life, you have a reliable stability. David (who wrote Psalm 16) described God as his refuge (verse 1), supplier of all things for life (v. 5), and giver of sound counsel (v. 7). He would worship God alone and not sacrifice to any other gods in his life (v. 2, 4). David said that he had “set the Lord continually before me” and this gives joy. (v. 8-9)

Because God gave His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross,

we have continuous access to God (Hebrews 9:14, 24), giving us new life, joy, and peace. We can enter God’s presence. When circumstances are in upheaval (such as when you have to pull up stakes and move), you have God’s presence (Psalm 46:1-2) and God’s peace (John 16:33).

Right now my husband and I are in the process of moving to another state (my seventh move). My world is “shaken,” but I am thankful for God’s presence and promises in his Word, the Bible. So I am sharing with you some of my favorite verses that have helped me through periods when life was “shaken up” a bit.

Be strong and of good courage; Be not afraid neither be dismayed; for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed. Deuteronomy 31:8

For I know the plans I have for you , declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11



Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10

Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:5

The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me; thy steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Psalm 138:8


During the moving and re-settling process, I will be making fewer posts in Length and Strength from the Inside Out. However, I would encourage you to stay in God’s Word daily and to practice the exercises you have learned. How about working on balance? (Click here for exercises on improving your balance and preventing falls.) Also along the lines of not being “shaken” would be strengthening your core. While the weather is still warm, try exercising in the water.

(Try deep water, shallow, or some water walking). The archives are posted on the right side of each post. All of the exercises will help you improve your Length and Strength!

Photo credits: Håkan Dahlström
photos, public-domain-image.com, scriptoriumblogorium.blogspot.com from CreativeCommons, L.E.Lang collection

1 comment:

  1. Joshua 1:9 is one of my favorites. Good luck in the moving process. All things work for good.

    ReplyDelete